White House Proposes Addition to West Wing to Create ‘Symmetry’ with Trump’s $400 Million Ballroom.

After receiving official approval last month to move forward with the $400 million ballroom at the White House, the new revolution has renovation plans.
The plans were shared at a public meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission on Thursday, but the architect of the project said that President Trump is now considering a one-story addition to the West Wing to create “symmetry”, according to ABC News.
Trump wants to build a second level above the deck that connects the West Wing to the White House residence, according to a new interview with The New York Times.
Trump told the Times that he calls the project “The West Wing”—and that it’s still being designed.
He said it could hold additional office space for West Wing aides, or possibly “first ladies’ offices in future First Ladies.”
During the meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission, the architect Shalom Baranes he said possible additions to the West Wing would be limited to “the deck only.” He said such an addition may be needed to accommodate the length of the ballroom project, which he is also designing.
“I mentioned the potential for a future addition, a one-story addition to the West Wing,” Baranes told the commission, saying it would “restore coherence to the center of the White House.”

Ballroom renovations are underway
During the planning commission meeting, Baranes also presented preliminary plans for the much-talked-about ballroom project.
The White House ballroom construction project began in October when demolition crews brought in heavy equipment and began demolishing the East Wing ballroom. The East Wing was built in 1902 and has been renovated and altered in May-adding a second story in 1942.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States then filed a lawsuit saying “No president is legally allowed to demolish parts of the White House without review.”
But in December, a federal judge said construction on the new ballroom could go ahead.

Yesterday, Baranes showed off a rendering of a ballroom as tall as the White House’s Executive Mansion.
Some members of the commission were reportedly worried about the size of the project, according to the New York Times.
However, Joshua Fisher, director of the White House’s Office of Management, said the project was necessary and that demolishing the East Wing was the best option available due to instability, mold and outdated electrical infrastructure.
Trump told the Times that one important point in building the new ballroom was to have a safe place to host the event—with bulletproof glass, 4 to 5 inches thick, “that can take any weapon that we know of.”
Trump said, “It’s very innovatively designed. It’s going to be able to hold six times what the Capitol can hold, and all the bullet-proof glass, the drone-proof roof, yes, it’s critical. A very large drone can crash into it—you can hear the sound in there. It’s not going to be bad.”
Demolition of the ballroom began during the government shutdown when Trump insisted that he and private donors were funding the project.
Costs dropped from $200 million to $300 million (again, now the latest cost is $400 million). The White House said it was funded by private donors. The president says it is necessary to host national dinners for large crowds. The former ballroom only held about 200 people. The new ballroom is expected to hold about 1,000.
James McCrery IIthe project’s original architect—who was replaced in December by Baranes—reportedly raised serious concerns that the completed 90,000-square-foot ballroom would eclipse the 55,000-square-foot White House.
Another proposed fix
Trump also told the Times that he plans to tear up the brick sidewalks in Lafayette Park and replace them with granite—in part, so protesters can’t pick up bricks from the sidewalk and throw them.
He said the cost will be $10 million, and he said he is using his own money for this project.
Trump also told the Times that he was considering a site on the Potomac River for a sculpture garden called the “National Garden of American Heroes.”
Congress appropriated $40 million for it in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act last year.
More White House projects
The ballroom is not President Trump’s first major project since taking office for a second term in Jan. 20, 2025.
He gave the Rose Garden a makeover that disappointed critics who did not want the renovations the first lady installed in 1913.Ellen Louise Wilsonwife of the PresidentWoodrow Wilson.
The lawn was one of the most prominent areas of the White House which was famous for the rose bushes that lined the manicured lawn.
The Rose Garden lawn was paved for safety and convenience for event-goers—especially women in high heels.
Trump also told the Times that he was most proud of the renovation of the bathroom attached to the Lincoln Bedroom, saying, “I got to what was going to be used to a very high standard, very beautiful marble.”
Separately from the White House, the president also revealed in October that he wants to build a new monument—an Arc de Triomphe-style arch next to the Lincoln Memorial.



